Monday, September 27, 2010

Shiitake Surprise


Shiitake Surprise

We hiked a path less-taken in our woods yesterday and went down into a valley where we seldom walk. I'd placed a bunch of logs down there 2.5 years ago that I'd bored holes in and inoculated with mushroom mycelium. I put them in the deep valley by a small creek hoping they would get enough moisture to grow. For the first year or so, I would check them periodically to see if they were fruiting. After a while I gave up thinking they were probably dead from the summer droughts.

To my great surprise and joy, we found shiitakes sprouting from them yesterday.

We had the first harvest in some soup last night. Delicious. So much better than whatever variety we get from the grocery store.

These are the Night Velvet strain. A warm weather variety. With fall manifesting here in earnest now, I'm not sure how much more we'll get this year.

I bought the inoculate, a punch-tool and some wax daubers from Field and Forest. I happened to have some paraffin on hand to seal the holes up.

I recommend it to anyone with some smallish diameter hardwood trees that need thinning. I understand oak is best. Poplar and others will work, but aren't as productive. Just don't experiment with hickory (like me), unless you want to wait a while! Harvest the green logs in the very early spring, before they start budding. It's an inexpensive, low-maintenance way to grow something tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment